Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ivy League's Artist Of The Month!

September Artist of the Month: 
RAZOR a.k.a Mr. M-I-A


Driving through the streets of Miami with Razor as he pointed to the different landmarks that defined his childhood growing up in Carol City was quite an experience. Looking at the city through the eyes of Mr. M-I-A the love and passion he feels for his city, it's people and the music he creates to represent it is more than apparent.

In an industry that can often turn a blind-eye to the fake and flaw, Razor is the truth. His music is an honest account of his experiences, his lifestyle and his convictions. His realness and creativity set him apart from the slew of up-and-coming artists in Miami. In an exclusive interview for Ivy League Magazine, Razor shares with us where his drive comes from, what his music represents and how much he really does ride for Miami.

Interview & Download after the jump...


IL: Where does the moniker, Mr. M-I-A come from?
Razor: It started back in '99, when I wrote a song called "Drop Them Bow's" and the day I recorded the song, the grittiness of the record inspired me to represent for my city and I yelled, M-I-A repeatedly. Performing the song, fans latched on to the M-I-A ad-lib so much so that I re-made the song with M-I-A as the hook and titled it "M-I-A." Over the years, I have recreated the song with a different feel, sound and lyrics 5 times. It's my anthem for my city.

IL: What is the importance of the song? Why continue to recreate it?
Razor: The song breathed a new life into my movement. Once I took on the Mr. M-I-A moniker, it created a greater purpose for my music... allowed me represent for all the real artists, all the people that I felt should've made it but couldn't. I took on the city, put it on my back. This is a great city and I ride for it. I represent for Miami all day, everyday.

IL: You've been doing this a long time. Where does your drive come from?
Razor: I believe that everybody has a dream and it is the responsibility of every individual to pursue that dream to completion, whether you are successful at it or whether you outgrow your dream. I still haven't outgrown it. I love the music. I still have something to say. I still believe in my dream so I'mma  continue to push.


IL: Tell me about your current project, Mr. M-I-A Vol. 2 (Reloaded): The Streets Iz Mine.
Razor: This one was just for the streets. I took the momentum from Mr. M-I-A Vol. 1 and reloaded my guns. Added major features like Ross, Paul Wall and the late, great Nate Dogg and also local talent like C-Ride, Grief and Kenny Brown. I also highlighted my label artists Rena and Loose. There are some songs on heavy rotation right now like Snapper, which we looking at it possibly being the official jingle for the Snapper's restaurant chain here in South Florida. Changed management, so I'm now with Ghostown Entertainment and Heavy Management, that helped me to focus on the music. This album is just more complete. Something for the goons, for the ladies, really just good music for the streets!

IL: So what's next? What you working on?
Razor: Oh, this next project gonna be CRAZY. It's called Mr. M-I-A Vol. 3: Me & My City. Got a line-up of singles with songs like Tobacco and we bringing Snapper back with a No Liva remix featuring C-Ride. Off the wall new music featuring Shonie from Slip-N-Slide with a track called Goon Love. Grief and I coming back with a new street-banger, the sequel to Whip Game Proper, called Thanksgiving. Another one for the ladies featuring Alecia LaRue called "Ringtone." I got such a variety of sounds, there's something for everybody from soulful hip-hop to club-bangers to street anthems. M-I-A 2012 is the best one yet, a true representation of my movement of what I stand for. I'm just crazy excited about this album.

IL: Any last words for the fans?
Razor: Man, lots of shout-outs. Definitely big-ups to The Ivy League Magazine, thank you for having me. Shouts to Ghostown Entertainment and Heavy Management. Shouts to DJ Soulless, Traps R Us, download the mixtape! The Wire Promotions! The local stations that fuck with me, Heavy 92.7, Street Connect DJs, The Streets FM... Big-ups to my lil brother, Gideon doing a 1-3 and my other nigga 'Mal waiting on his court date. I got ya'll. MIAMI stand up! Check me out at MrMIA.tv, Facebook, Twitter me... all that!

Check out Razor at www.mrmia.tv. Facebook: www.facebook.com/Razor305. Twitter: www.twitter.com/RazorakaMrMIA.

Download "Snapper" on iTunes - CLICK HERE

Mr. M-I-A Vol. 2 Reloaded: The Streets Iz Mine




No comments:

Post a Comment